Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Michelle's Zuppa Toscana

We don't go to Olive Garden all that often but when we do, my husband always orders the Zuppa Toscana. To be quite honest, I'm not all that fond of it as I always order the salad at OG which is my personal favorite :) I figured that Zuppa Toscana would be an excellent candidate for a good weekend meal. Plus it was a way for me to make something to go with my focaccia. :)

I like my version a whole lot more than Olive Garden's version. Also, it's tons cheaper than going to OG. You sure do get a whole lot more for your buck! And it makes a ton so I hope your family has a good appetite. Be forewarned -- this isn't a quick cook meal. It's definitely something to make on the weekend to enjoy for several days afterward.

* *
Michelle's Zuppa Toscana
Adapted from http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/O/573.htm



1 lb. Italian Sausage, casing removed
1/2 lb. thick-cut bacon, diced
4 c. water
32 oz. chicken broth, low sodium
1 1/2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced (do not peel)
1 medium shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
16oz. chopped spinach (frozen)
1 c. heavy whipping cream
sea salt & red pepper flakes to taste

In a heavy stock pot, brown sausage over medium-high heat. Make sure to break it into small pieces and to scrape up the fond (the delicious brown bits at the bottom) as you go. Once it is cooked through, remove the sausage from the pot and reserve.


Add the bacon to the pot and fry until brown and crispy. Remove the crispy bacon bits to the same place you reserved the sausage. Drain off all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat.


Turn your heat down to medium or medium-low and add your shallots, followed by your garlic. Sweat over medium low for about 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Deglaze the bottom of the pan with 1/2 c of the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to dissolve all the yummy brown bits into the soup.

Add your diced russet potatoes (drain if you have them stored in water to prevent oxidation like I normally do) and the 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, cover and then simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Add in your spinach (no need to thaw) and stir in your whipping cream. Simmer (but do not boil) for another 5 minutes. Season with salt (I like sea or kosher) and red pepper flakes to taste.

Serve with a hearty bread for dipping and laugh heartily because now you don't need to wait for Olive Garden's all you can eat soup, salad and breadsticks special! MWAHAHAHAHA!

Zuppa Toscana (homemade)


Makes 10 (very generous) servings

* *

The original recipe called for spicy Italian sausage and kale, neither of which my local Trader Joe's had the day I went shopping. That wasn't a big deal so I just got the regular sweet Italian sausage and some frozen spinach. The original also called for onions -- which I don't normally use -- for which I substituted shallots.

If you want to do a low carb version of this, you can substitute cauliflower for the potatoes. For low fat, substitute half and half or whole milk for the whipping cream. I wouldn't suggest low fat or skim milk because it just won't lend any flavor to the soup at all.

Be sure to use good quality bacon. Don't use any of that namby-pamby, wet cured, thin-cut stuff.This will help ensure that you've got some really hearty bits of bacon left in your soup rather than having it all wither away into nothing. Your taste buds will appreciate it! I like Niman Ranch bacon (well, truth be told, I like Niman ranch anything) because it's the real thing: dry cured and thick cut. It's also a great price at Trader Joe's.

I actually misjudged just how much soup it was going to make and had to switch to a larger pot halfway through the cooking process. Considering that it's just me and my husband, we had enough leftover to fill three 3 cup containers and another 2 cup container. It made for very good leftovers but I wouldn't keep the leftovers for more than a few days. Unfortunately with the potatoes, it's not a good candidate for freezing as potatoes tend to get mushy after being frozen, thawed and reheated.

No comments: